Little is known with any certainty about the architectural or religious history of Glenluce Abbey, but what is indisputable is that the sombre remains in this remote spot overlooking Luce Bay present a picture of complete serenity.
It was during his powerful reign as Lord of Galloway and Constable of Scotland, that Roland founded the Cistercian monastery c1192, perhaps taking the lead from his grandfather who had established the Cistercian monks at Dundrennan some 50 years earlier. In the absence of any documented evidence, it seems reasonable to suppose that Glenluce Abbey was colonised from Dundrennan Abbey, or possibly from Melrose Abbey, but it never became a wealthy house and would have accommodated no more than 15 monks. Although the monastery was laid out to the normal plan of this strict Order, it is almost impossible to determine the exact building styles used from the fragmented and rubbled walls still standing. The tallest structure on site forms part of the south transept of the abbey church, and dates from the 13th century, but virtually everything else has been lost.
A memorable find amongst these craggy, grey ruins was the splendid square Chapter House, amazingly complete and in a very good state of preservation. Built about 1500, the vaulted chamber is well lit by two beautiful traceried windows, and the whole interior was decorated. Some of the original glazed floor tiles have been re-set around the central column base, and there are carved stone corbels, and delightfully amusing ceiling bosses showing grotesque faces. Despite various phases of conversion, destruction, and dispute, over the abbey lands and their buildings after the Reformation in 1560, the Chapter House at Glenluce Abbey seems to have escaped the ensuing chaos, and is a fine example of late medieval work.
The entire site is fairly compact, but the lack of extensive remains and history in no way detracts from the interest that this little abbey holds. For instance, there are some rare examples of clay pipes still in situ that formed part of the unusual water supply system at Glenluce Abbey. A section of cloister arcading has been reconstructed, and from this small panel it is possible to imagine how beautiful the cloister walk would have looked with all four sides encased in the ornate stonework. Many other artefacts from the monastic habitation, as well as some high quality medieval pottery found during excavation of the site, can be seen in the museum.
Glenluce Abbey may not satisfy the visitor who likes to spend several hours investigating every nook and cranny of ruined sites for fear of missing some medieval treasures, nor those in search of discovering some mysterious tales about the monks who lived here. But what it does offer is absolute peace among the stark remains of a place that appears to have vanished into obscurity.